Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Last 2007 List, I Swear

After making my initial Best Of list for 2007, I then had to make an amendment. Now, weeks later, I shall be making more. I've seen a few more 2007 releases that have left me greatly impressed, while I have also re-watched some of my earlier choices and found that their quality fades upon second viewing.

And now, for the last time, I will present my choices for the best films of 2007 (in Top 15 form this time):

15. Seraphim Falls
14. Knocked Up
13. The Lookout
12. Sunshine
11. The Bourne Ultimatum
10. Hot Fuzz
9. Wristcutters: A Love Story
8. Juno
7. There Will Be Blood
6. Grindhouse
5. Rocket Science
4. Michael Clayton
3. Gone Baby Gone
2. Zodiac
1. No Country For Old Men

I really liked Dedication the first time I saw it, but the second time through I couldn't help but notice how cliche and vapid it was. I call this phenomena "The Garden State Effect."

The absence of such critically-praised films as Atonement, Into The Wild and Sweeny Todd are not a result of my not having seen them, but by my not really liking them.


Best DVD of 2007: Knocked Up (2-Disc Collector's Edition)
The special features are even better than the movie. From the 45-minute long documentary showing the original actors hired to play Seth Rogan's role (Justin Long and James Franco are particularly good) to the hilarious 5 minute featurette detailing how the studio hired Capote director Bennett Miller to hang out on set and second-guess all of Judd Apatow's directing decisions, this is a great amusement value for your home video dollar.

2 comments:

Rory Larry said...

Atonement wasn't very good so I agree with you there. Sweeney Todd was enjoyable but not great. I think I enjoyed it more because my poor mother was in misery from all the gore. Into the Wild initially I felt had a lot of problems but they seemed not too bad upon a second viewing and Catherine Keener and Hal Holbrook and hell even Brian Dierker were just so good.

Nick Prigge said...

Atonement was fantastic and you can all just piss off.